CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Awakening, Ch. 20-24

In the next couple chapters of The Awakening, Edna becomes obsessed with Robert and her husband, Leonce, expresses his concern about Edna to their family doctor, Dr. Mandelet. Edna is continuing to mope around the house and has lots of mood swings. Leonce confides they are not sleeping together anymore to Dr. Mandelet.

It’s kind of bizarre actually, because Leonce says one of her symptoms is an interest in internal rights of women. They then have a good laugh about it; they don’t take it seriously. The doctor is very interesting character. He does grasp what’s wrong with Edna, but at the same time he doesn’t take it very seriously. He even goes as far to ask if there is a history of insanity.

Another thing that occurs is Edna’s father, a former colonel, comes to visit in New Orleans. He comes to shop for a wedding dress and ring for Edna’s sister, Janet. The relationship between Edna and her father have is a bit distant, however they are companionable and enjoy each other’s company. In the beginning of The Awakening, Edna was very excited about the wedding and now, she does not want to attend it at all. She doesn’t want to go because she feels marriage is a ridiculous thing, and tells Leonce their marriage is failing apart.

What do you even say to that? Edna is changing, awakening, and quite possibly is going crazy.

3 comments:

Mei-Mei said...

I also thought it was odd that "internal rights of women" could be a symptom. I guess at that time it would have been unusual and concerning. I think I'd go crazy in that type of society too.

Edna's father's response to when Leonce agreed to go to the wedding for Edna was bothersome to me. He tries to tell Leonce what he's doing wrong by saying, "You are too lenient... Authority, coercion are what is needed. Put your foot down good and hard; the only way to manage a wife." The content of his comment was concerning too.

Tina said...

This is an extremely good post. very thorough. I wrote about a paragraph of "vain bibble babble"

(I am being utterly taken over by my Twelfth Night lines, I apologize)

I agree with the her going crazy thing- Alex and Nick always say "oh Edna's crazy" which I don;t agree with, but you and Mei-Mei put it into another perspective- she is GOING crazy from the pressures. This is an interesting way to look at it, and I agree with that. As Mei-Mei said, I think I'd go crazy in that society, too.

MDooley729 said...

I alos thought the scene with Edna's husband and the doctor was humorous. While reading your blog I thought of something. What is the significance of Edna's father? Is he to show Edna and him have a distant relationship and therefore Edna and her husband would have/do have a distant relationship? But that wouldn't make sense with the theme of the book- Edna's awakening and a piece of that being her husband sucks. hmmm, i don't know.