CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Awakening, Ch. 35-39

Oh Edna. You exhaust me.

Seriously reading this book was exasperating. I wanted to shake Edna most of the time and get her to 1) wake up and 2) stop being so confused and make a damn decision! While I’ll admit I did enjoy this book most of the time, however her views on what she thinks is freedom, her children, marriage, the three men she became involved with, and the sea just became too much. It was a nebulous book of her whole life.

To talk about the last couple chapters, Edna basically drowns herself in the ocean and that is that. There are many instances of the sea and the word “awakened” is heavily repeated. Edna is so selfish and does whatever she wants, when she wants to. I mean, she is completely not admirable. She see’s her children when she wants, she throws a party when she wants, and hell, she even dies when she wants. Edna really just needed to get help because she has no structure to fall on other than the Creole society that was imposed upon her. She became the opposite of what she was supposed to be and broke all the rules.

This entire book was about feminism and not conforming to what society wants you to be. Edna did not represent feminism very well as she got gratification from breaking the rules. It’s not that she did anything better after she moved out: she hooked up with other men and became very ignorant to herself. When she doesn’t get the reactions she wants, Edna can’t take it and thus, dies of her own fault. And that was The Awakening.

1 comments:

Alex Meregaglia said...

Hi Lauren-

Thank you for commenting on my blog as I enjoy hearing and reading what other people have to think. I really do enjoy talking with people of differing viewpoints to understand all arguments.

I am going to disagree with some of what you say. I am not yelling at you and I do see where you’re coming from, I am merely writing words to fulfill my commenting requirement (I’m sure you understand).

But anyways, I don’t know how many completely sane people I know, but I do know that there are a large majority of moderately sane people living in this country and the world. And those people are the ones that are out making decisions and interacting with others. They are able to make logical decisions based on whatever situation they may be in. I may be weird and crazy at times, but I understand the times and places when a rational conversations and actions need to happen. I am able sober up as needed.

Also, all people who commit suicide are selfish. There may be other reasons, but that one is always present. Selfishness is not and should not be looked upon as a favorable trait. These people who choose to end their lives don’t think about how it will affect the lives of others. They just want pain to go away by any means possible, and that’s what Edna did. I think that anybody who does that is crazy and can’t see that the world doesn’t actually solely revolve around them.