CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, November 16, 2007

Mainstream

Edit: I'm not sure why this did not post yesterday, but here it is (redone, ah!)

Yoshino says that ‘the mainstream is a myth’ because to be mainstream you have to be normal, and no one is completely normal. Everyone is unique and that is why being mainstream is myth. The term “mainstream” is also difficult to define considering nothing can be based off of the myth itself. I would define mainstream with what is popular or the majority of what people like. It is hard to define mainstream because most of the time people are covering or pretending to like something simply to fit in. There can’t be a concrete mainstream because people aren’t always themselves.

I don’t find his reasoning to be very well backed up. Yoshino uses the example that “straights are more mainstream than gays”, but I don’t see much to that. It would have been nice if he had gone deeper and appealed to pathos. Although I do agree with his point to a certain point (see my definition above), other might not be persuaded because of his lack of evidence.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's no post here!