CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A possibility for I.C.

It seems like a lot of teachers junior year are giving us the freedom to choose a topic we are passionate about and write about them. In U.S. history, I’m writing a paper about women’s rights and the differences women faced between the 1800s and now. In mass media, I am either going to be writing about violence or sexual behavior through the media lens of Grey’s Anatomy. I love that topic and I know it won’t get boring. So now I just need to pick something out for this one.

Honestly, I’m not completely sure what I’m passionate about. This is a tough one. What do I want to write about that will divide my audience?

What about if I did my paper in reference to how health is portrayed in the media? Definitely something I would be interested in researching because it seems these days on television you can eat anything and not gain weight. Take for example Rachael Ray, a Food Network cook, and the Gilmore Girls, who eat tons of food per meal but still happen to remain thin. We never see them working out. Obviously, doing a topic like this would mean knowing things about the media and how it works – which is why I could use references from my mass media class! (gasp!) I actually kind of like this idea now and it could be an interesting topic. The only bad thing about it, that I can think of right now anyway, is how it will divide my audience. I suppose I could go back and forth between reality and how the real world is portrayed. Some might not agree and think I’m totally wrong.


What do you guys think of that idea?

2 comments:

Kendal said...

Dear Lauren-

I do not think that you writing about how the media portrays health will divide your audience. You are only aiming for one. And if it is something that you are really passionate about then go for it! I would definitely want to read your paper about this topic. And the fact that you can use some of the stuff that you have learned in Mass Media is really great. When you talked about this idea in class, I thought it was really good. I think that tv shows should not make it seem like you can eat tons of unhealthy food and never work out and not gain wait. I do not think there needs to be something at the beginning of the show that says this is not good for your health, but they should show how real people live. They should show that real people have to watch what they eat and need to work out in order to stay healthy. I don't think you need to worry about your audience at all. Good luck with your paper!

Elise Carter said...

I agree with Kendal, although I do liek how you are tying one of your classes into this essay. I think that you should write about whatever you feel the most passionate about. This is an issue that we see everyday, but we do not realize it, our media has affected us in so many ways. GO FOR IT!!