CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Response to AP English

My thoughts over AP English so far are generally that I like the class and it’s a challenge. The way it is taught is similar to that in Introduction to Writing. I don’t mind the writing assignments every night in this class mostly because we have a good discussion about them that day. It’s nice that they only have to about 250 words and they aren’t too formal. It seems to be a reasonable workload. You challenge us to think. It’s also nice to be able to write about topics that aren’t dictated upon you. I feel like you give us some food for thought before we have to go off and write a topic.
We’re definitely analyzing The Great Gatsby and Nickel and Dimed more so than I thought we would. I’m glad that the reading that we were assigned to do over the summer is actually getting talked about, unlike previous years. It really helps that Maggie asks LaMagdeleine to repeat herself often or to say something in a different way. It makes me feel like I understand the material better, especially when LaMagdeleine gives examples. I don’t always understand things first time around, so I’m happy someone else is asking all the questions besides myself.
We talked today in class about how with certain teachers, you write how you think the teacher wants you to. For example, if you were to take a history class, you would write more about facts and key dates. You wouldn’t write how you typically would with your friends. I found that interesting because I do that subconsciously. I never thought my quality of work was better in certain classes than others until today.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some really good thoughts here. I'm glad that you like the style of the class so far. You will continue to have some flexibility about writing - thought not always as much as now. Don't be afraid to ask your own questions.