CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Justin Timberlake and Pepsi

Okay so I did my blogs a little backwards and now I’m going to post about the Sunday Superbowl ads.

One ad that stood out in my mind was for Pepsi Stuff with Justin Timberlake. I enjoyed it and thought it worked because it involved a celebrity doing something embarrassing and funny. It was full of crazy, wild stunts that Justin actually did himself.

The whole concept was a girl sipping on a Pepsi and Justin was “magnetically attracted” to her from across town. Justin gets pulled out of Southern Comfort and is dragged up the side of building where SNL’s Any Samberg makes an awkward and humorous appearance dressed up as a girl. He then gets thrown into a river and is pulled into the suburbs, where he runs into Cowboys Tony Romo, runs straddle-style into a mailbox (several times), and finally gets hit in the back of the head with a flat screen TV.

Basically the concept came down to every sip you take gets you closer. That could be seen as a little disturbing with the sucking of a Pepsi gets Justin Timberlake closer to you. I didn’t think of it like that though, so I don’t think it would be a big deal.

What I found really interesting was the amount of product placement in this ad, all at the same time. You have Justin Timberlake himself, Southern Comfort (which happens to be JT’s new restaurant), Pepsi, and AmazonMP3’s. I thought that distracted away from the main product, Pepsi. But hey getting an ad during the Superbowl is pretty expensive, so you have get some help from other products to cover the cost.

1 comments:

Allie said...

Lauren-

I saw this ad also and I didn't really know what to make of it. At first I though it was a really odd idea... but if it sells the product then that is all that matters. Justin Timberlake is definately the person to use to attract people to buy a product, because he is very popular and everyone knows him. I also thought it was interesting that there were so many products advertised in one commerical. That being said, I don't know how effective it will be at selling any of them, because it didn't take any time to focus on individual products.